Follow these 15 Simple Steps to Moving Bliss
Wondering how to prepare for a move? Having an idea of what to do before move day helps to prevent chaos, confusion, and unnecessary moving expenses. At Elite Furniture Moving, we’re here to help make your next moving experience a pleasant one.
Read below for our best moving tips:
- Start planning for your move 6-8 weeks ahead. Make a list of priorities and important tasks and add them to your calendar. Prepare your family ahead of time for what to expect.
- De-clutter as much as possible. Hold a garage sale or donate items you no longer need. Getting rid of clutter will not only help clear your mind, but it will also help save money and prevent stress. Who wants to pay to move items you don’t even use or want anymore?
- Avoid using random sized boxes. Using uniform moving boxes is a big money saver as it is much easier for the moving crew to handle and stack boxes of 3 to 4 sizes rather than 20 different sizes. Miscellaneous sized boxes become a puzzle when loading onto the truck and take much more time to handle.
- Avoid having unpacked items. Unpacked items are the number one cause for moves to go on longer than necessary as unpacked miscellaneous items become trips to the truck carried by hand rather than a full stack of boxes rolled out on a moving dolly. Additionally they are much harder to load which adds time as we must find particular places in the truck to load them.
- Pack in stages. Don’t try to do it all at once. Decide which rooms you will pack first, and set up supplies like boxes, packing tape, and permanent markers for labeling. Plan to pack a specific amount each day. Make it fun by involving family members and play your favorite workout music to keep both fun and energy levels high.
- Pack everything correctly. See packing tips page. The better you pack, the more economical your move will be. Keep miscellaneous items to a minimum. This makes it easier for the movers to transport your belongings quickly and efficiently. The best way to do this? Get your packing done ahead of time, so you’re not throwing things in boxes last minute. Each extra trip to the truck adds extra time and money! Pack boxes in groups of like items, labeled with the name of the room they belong to.
- Label boxes properly. To ensure that each box gets to the room where it belongs, write the name of the room on the top and 2 sides.
Bonus: Use a color coding system with colored stickers as you assign one color to each room at the new home and match the boxes accordingly.
- Pets & children. Ask friends and family to help watch young children and pets at another location so you can focus on the move and keep them safe. If this isn’t possible, make sure they are out of the way of movers.
- Clear out furniture drawers. This step is often forgotten, and when movers arrive and your furniture is turned on its side, everything in the drawer falls out. Removing items from the drawers ahead of time will prevent damage and inconvenience.
- Disassemble shelving from bookcases (or any other furniture that has removable shelves). This is something the movers can do however if it’s already done ahead of time, it will save time & money on the move!
Save your sanity tip: put shelf clips into a bag and label with the name of the furniture piece it belongs to.
- Move vehicles out of the driveway and surrounding areas. This will make everyone’s job easier and will make room for Elite Furniture Moving to park the moving truck quickly & efficiently.
- Clear areas where movers will be working. Make sure any debris around furniture is cleared and there is nothing blocking the way.
- Gather important documents together. Keep them with you during the move. This can save you time looking for them before, during or after the move.
- Remove all concealable valuables. Be sure to have all jewelry, coins, currencies or any other small valuables removed from the home and areas in which the movers will have access to unless otherwise noted by your move coordinator.
- Update the moving company. If you have any changes to your move, be sure to update your moving coordinator so that we can be prepared as needed.
Applying the steps above can mean the difference between an exhausting, chaotic move or a smooth and organized one. Our goal is to put a smile on your face and move you into your new home in the most efficient way possible. When you’re prepared for the move, you’ll save time, money, and your sanity.
Get started first by hiring the best movers in the area— Elite Furniture Moving. Lets Get Moving!